Infrared connection to ActiveSync
8 Jan 2010
ActiveSync Infrared (IrDa) Connection
When establishing an infrared connection between the Allegro and your desktop PC for the first time, complete the all the steps in this document.
Complete the installation instructions that came with your IrDA infrared adapter. Depending on the Windows operating system on your desktop, you may need to access the wireless communications setup on your desktop PC by selecting Settings | Control Panel and the wireless option (the name varies between operating systems). After the infrared settings are set, follow the connection process below.
To select the infrared COM port as the COM port you are using, complete the following steps:
- Turn on the Allegro.
- Tap the Start | Settings | Control Panel | Communications Properties.
- Tap the PC Connection tab. At the bottom of the dialog box under Connect using: you see which COM port the Allegro is set on for the ActiveSync connection.
- Tap the Change button to access the Change Connection screen if you are using a different communication port than the listed Connect using: port.
- Tap on the arrow next to the Connect to desktop using: box to access a drop-down list.
- Tap on the IrDA port from the drop-down list, and tap on the OK button.
- Double-click on the ActiveSync icon on the desktop PC and Get Connected screen appears.
- Click on the Next button and the Get Connected: Checking COM Ports screen appears.
- The Progress box of the Checking COM Ports screen says Looking for a Mobile device& Checking on COM Port 1 Checking IR and USB, double-tap on the PC Link icon on your Allegro desktop.
After tapping the PC Link icon on the Allegro desktop, a screen that says Connecting to Host is shown. After a connection is made, the following screen briefly shows on the Allegro:
If you are unsuccessful in your connection, try again.
Once connected, a connected system tray icon appears in the in the status box on the Taskbar. If the Allegro disconnects from the desktop PC, by choice or inadvertently, this icon disappears, letting you know the Allegro is not connected to the computer.